There are very few differences between how established writers and aspiring writers pitch.
The pros have many of the same problems as everyone else.
Most importantly, the more original their idea is, the harder it is to demonstrate that it could work.
Here are eight articles and videos about pitching studio films, independent films, and TV shows from some of the best people in the business:
- Smart pitching advice and experience from Despicable Me screenwriters Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio [Video]
- Pitch Perfect director Jason Moore on what Broadway taught him about directing movies
- The Bourne Legacy Writer/Director Tony Gilroy listens to short screenplay pitches and critiques what works and what doesn’t [Video]
- Brighton Rock Writer/Director Rowan Joffe expertly explains how to pitch [Video]
- Thoughts from Ben and Kate TV Showrunner Dana Fox on her new sitcom and how she pitched it
- Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan on being told he was pitching ‘the worst TV show in history.’
- Behind-the-scenes with Lana and Andy Wachowski on Cloud Atlas
- Excellent first-person account from Below Zero indie filmmaker Signe Olynk about how she pitched and got distribution for her film
Does anything from these articles or videos stand out to you? Let me know in the comments.